A family is thanking their cat for waking them in the middle of the night, alerting them to a potentially dangerous situation.

“My daughter woke us up and said the cat is making funny noises, and then she passed out,” dad Jeff Wild of Holly Springs, N.C., told WTVD.

RELATED: Loyal dog alerts family to abusive babysitter 

Wild’s wife forgot to turn off her car and closed the garage door, which led to a buildup of carbon monoxide inside the family’s home.

Paramedics were called to the home, where they found high levels of carbon monoxide. Experts recommend having a carbon monoxide detector inside homes, since it is an odorless, colorless gas that can be fatal.

For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning prevention, click here.

This cat alerted a family that their home was filling up with poisonous gas Video screenshot

Hot Topics TV - Pop Culture News Studio

Stories You Might Like