Article will continue after advertisement

PHELAN, Calif. – A 5-year-old boy is being called a hero after saving his grandmother from a fire.

Early Sunday morning, a space heater in the family’s California home started the fire. Little Nathaniel didn’t panic.

He says he crawled under the smoke to his grandma’s room and woke her up.

“I got up and told my nanny what to do,” said Nathaniel.

His grandma woke up just in time.

“I went and opened the door, and the flames were huge,” said Kimberly Ratliff, Nathaniel’s grandmother. “I knew we were going to lost the house at that point.”

When grandma wanted to go back inside to rescue their chihuahua, Nathaniel knew it would be too dangerous and wouldn’t let her go.

Just two days before he and his friends attended a fire safety class. The house was gutted, but thanks to his quick thinking, everyone was safe, including the dog.