Let’s just say this worked out really well for Candace Payne.
Less than three weeks ago, she shot to internet fame with this hilarious video laughing uncontrollably in a Chewbacca mask.
The video is now the most-watched Facebook Live video ever.
Not only did the mask sell out in stores almost immediately, but Payne started getting TV offers, gift cards from various retailers, trips and even scholarships for her kids.
But how much is she making off of the 4 minute video?
Time’s Money estimates she’s gotten about $420,000 in gifts since her video went viral. Below is a breakdown of what we know she’s received.
- Gifts from Kohl’s: $3,000: This was all thanks to the free publicity. In her video, Payne mentions she bought the mask from Kohls. The store thanked her by showing up to her door with gifts and $2,500 in gift cards.
- Talk Show Visits: $7,500: If you missed Payne on TV, then you probably didn’t have it on. She appeared on “Good Morning America” and “The Late Late Show with James Corden.” She was also flown to San Francisco for visits to Lucasfilm Studios and Facebook headquarters.
- Walt Disney World Vacation: $7,500: Paynes entire family was treated (of course, VIP style) to trip to Walt Disney World.
- Fan Expo Dallas VIP Treatment: $2,000: According to Time’s Money estimates, Payne met the actor inside the Chewbacca costume in the original Star Wars films at the Fan Expo Dallas convention with VIP passes. Normally those passes go for $419 apiece.
- College Scholarships: $400,000: Southeastern University offered Payne’s children full scholarships to attend school once they’re ready. The reason? “Candace has inspired us and others with her joy, and we want her and her family to experience some of that same joy through this gift,” Dr. Kent Ingle, president of the college, said.