Article will continue after advertisement

WARRINGTON, Pa. – A 5-year-old boy has died after officials say the family dog pulled on his scarf, accidentally choking him.

Police in Warrington Township, Pennsylvania say 5-year-old John Bruno was playing outside with his dog when the boy’s mother saw him laying face down in the snow. The family’s dog, a 1-year-old hound mix, was pulling on the boy’s scarf, KYW-TV reports.

The boy’s mother called 911. Paramedics performed CPR, but the boy later died at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

CBS News reports police initially believed the boy died from cardiac arrest. Police called the incident a “tragic accident.”

“His smile and boundless energy was electric. He loved Ninja Turtles, Pokemon,  Superheroes and being silly. Above all else John loved his mom, dad, and big sister,” loved ones wrote on a GoFundMe page set up to raise money for medical and funeral expenses.

The fundraising campaign has so far raised more than $20,000, surpassing its goal of $5,000. If you would like to donate to the family, click here.